No matter what you do for work or play in Elk Grove, hearing protection should always be a concern. Many of the area’s most popular hobbies and pastimes are as risky to your ears as they are fun for your weekends. Some examples of tasks that can endanger your hearing health include:
- Riding motorcycles and ATVs
- Hunting and shooting firearms
- Playing loud instruments
- Mowing the lawn
- Attending rock concerts
- Listening to music
Concern for your hearing shouldn’t prevent you from doing your favorite things; however, using caution is the only way to protect your hearing. Custom earmolds are the best way to ensure you can enjoy these activities fully without risking damage to your ears.
What Are Custom Earmolds?
Custom earmolds are earplugs made from silicone designed specifically to fit your ears. Their features vary slightly depending on their use, but all custom earmolds have many commonalities. Custom earplugs are specially designed to let in the sounds you want to hear while reducing or eliminating the sounds that cause distraction or can damage your hearing. Earmolds are made from a mold taken of your ear, and no two pairs are exactly alike.
Some of the most popular types of custom earmolds include:
- Swimmer’s earplugs. These personally crafted waterproof silicone earplugs protect you from the infections otitis externa, commonly known as swimmer’s ear, and exostosis, commonly known as surfer’s ear. They completely seal off the ear canal, preventing any water from entering the ear. While they’re common amongst swimmers and surfers, they can also be used while bathing and during activities like scuba diving, snorkeling and rafting.
- Industrial strength earplugs. Basic earplugs can’t protect against the extremely loud noises produced by some power tools, lawnmowers, machinery, open-air vehicles and other equipment. Industrial strength custom earmolds protect against high-decibel sounds and are specifically crafted for your ears to protect you from permanent damage.
- Hunter’s earplugs. A single gunshot can cause substantial, instantaneous and irreversible damage to your ears. Hunter’s earplugs are a must for anyone concerned about hearing loss in Elk Grove who hunts, is in law enforcement or uses firearms at a shooting range. These specialized earplugs amplify ambient noises from your surroundings while softening the high-frequency, high-decibel sounds emitted from a firearm. They also contain a valve that automatically closes when a gun is fired, protecting your ears from unexpected gunshots by limiting the volume of sound allowed in.
- Musician monitors. Musicians have much higher rates of hearing loss and tinnitus than the rest of the population due to their ongoing exposure to the sounds of electric instruments and drums sent through loud speakers. Musician monitors combine the effects of earplugs and headphones, delivering a musician’s feedback at a safe volume through custom earmolds while blocking out other loud, damaging noise.
- Performance earplugs. When you attend an exciting event like a concert or sports game, you want to hear everything around you without damaging your ears. These specially made, custom earplugs reduce the decibel level of the sound delivered to your ears without distorting or altering the sounds. These earplugs are an excellent way to enjoy high-quality music and entertainment sounds without experiencing permanent hearing loss.